Mushroom Can Slow Weight Gain
- Researchers have identified a mushroom known as Ganoderma Lucidum that contains ingredients that are said to slow down the process of weight gain.
- Mice fed an unhealthy diet reached 42 grams in weight after two months. However, when the mice were also fed a high dose of the mushroom extract, they only reached 35 grams, and were visibly slimmer.
- The mushroom reduces obesity in mice by altering the type of bacteria in the gut by acting as a form of prebiotics that feed the beneficial microbes.
- Levels of inflammation and insulin resistance were also reduced.
- Previous research in humans has shown that lean people tend to have higher amounts of various healthy bacteria compared to obese people. For example, one 2011 study found that daily intake of a specific form of lactic acid bacteria could help prevent obesity and reduce low-level inflammation.
- Another reason mushrooms may be beneficial for weight loss is because they are naturally rich in umami flavour.
- Umami, which means delicious, makes foods taste better and feel more satisfying.